Jane came home early from work and met Brenda watching television in the sitting room. Brenda still looked unkempt and was obviously not concentrating on the program on the television. She was absent-minded and oblivious of her immediate environment.
This had been her condition since she came back from the hospital five days ago. Jane knew that there was very little or nothing could do to bring her friend out of her depression, but a least she will try her best.
“I came back early so that two of us can go out together. We can visit fast food or any other place interesting.” Jane gently said after dropping her bag and sitting beside her friend.
Brenda slowly looked at her and said. Welcome home, but I don’t want to go anywhere, I hope you don’t mind. I just want to stay at home, that’s all.”
“But you have barely stepped your foot outside since you came back from the hospital. Why don’t you take some time out, it could change your mood.”
“I am worthless; I am just a piece of rag. What do I need to change my mood for? So that another man will see me, convince me that I am his all and all only for me to be dumped like a piece of rag? No, I just want to be left alone.”
Brenda’s situation was getting out of hand and Jane was beginning to think that she won’t be able to handle her this time around.
Jane had witnessed two of Brenda’s previous broken relationships.
Unlike her, Brenda has always had plenty of male admirers, but somehow she seemed to always fall for the wrong set of guys. Jane had been broken-hearted before but the relationship had not been as deep and intense like all Brenda’s three broken relationships and she had found it easy to get over it. Right now she is in a serious relationship with her wedding date just by the corner.
Brenda’s first serious love was Benjamin. A cute young man who treated Brenda like an angel, this relationship was so rosy to the extent that Jane found herself unconsciously getting envious of her friend.
But barely eight months into the relationship, Brenda discovered that Benjamin had gotten another girl pregnant. Without any remorse, Benjamin accepted responsibility for the baby and shoved Brenda away like she never really mattered.
Jane had been there for her and made sure that Brenda didn’t allow the breakup to discourage her. Luckily Brenda was strong and she gradually got over Benjamin. But the scare still remained as she promised herself to be more careful with men.
Four months later Derek Hunter came into Brenda’s life. Derek was an improved version of Benjamin. He was intelligent, smart and handsome. He was also very judicious and with little stress, he was able to convince Brenda to go fall in love. Brenda was proud of Derek; he was a very confident man and made Brenda feel secured. Brenda trusted him and relied so much on his sense of judgment. He helped Brenda in living a more organized life, especially in her school activates.
The relationship lasted only seventeen months. Derek worked with an oil company and was sent for three months of training at a faraway city. After a month he stopped calling Brenda and his number was out of service. All her effort in trying to reach him did not work out but she found out from his workplace that he was perfectly alright. So she decided to patiently wait for him to come back despite her worries.
After three months, Derek called her and told her that he will be back in a week’s time without bothering to explain anything.
Derek came back and became a different person. He stopped calling, claimed to be very busy and asked Brenda not to come around unless he asked her to come, he never did.
Brenda decided to pay him a surprise visit and found him at home with a lady who was obviously his lover. Derek surprisingly asked her out, telling her he will see her and work things out, again, he never did.
Brenda cried day and night and went through self-torture, but with the help of Jane she was able to get over it although it wasn’t easy, she did eventfully.
Remembering how hard it was for Brenda to get over her last break up, Jane was sure that this situation will be beyond her. If possible she will need to get Brenda a professional help. Brenda was almost turning to a vegetable.
Jane left her in the sitting room and walked into the kitchen, she was hungry. From the look of the kitchen, Brenda had obviously not taken both her breakfast and lunch. She became angry. Brenda had emaciated and will soon be sick if the situation is not handled.
Jane left the kitchen to confront her but heard her cell phone ring. She stopped as Brenda answered.
“Hello” Brenda replied wryly
“Hi, it’s me, Michael”
“Oh, Michael”
“How are you?
“I am fine; in fact, I am stronger than you can imagine”
“That’s nice to hear. And how is your friend Jane?”
“She is fine, she just came back from work” Brenda looked up at her friend Jane who was observing her from the kitchen door.
“I just called to find out how you are doing and make sure that you have not fainted again.” Michael bantered.
“No I have not fainted and I promise you that I won’t faint again.” She replied, trying so hard to sound cheerful.
“Ok. One of these days I will come around and see how you are doing, perhaps we could go out together and get to know each other better.”
Brenda suddenly got angry. “Well, Mr. Michael, I appreciate your kindness, but I will appreciate it better if you forget about knowing us better. I believe you have better things to do; we are equally busy over here.”
There was silence.
“Well, that is okay. I just want to wish you all the best. I will call you some other time.”
The line went dead before she could reply. Brenda wasn’t expecting him to do that, she thought he was going to insist. Well, it is all for the best, he’d better not call again. She casually dropped the phone and fixed her eyes on the television.
Jane continued to stare at her; it was like Brenda had already forgotten that she was in the house.
“Who was that on the phone” Jane inquired.
Brenda gave her a boring look. “Michael, he just called the say hi. You remember him? The guy…”
“Yes, I remember.” Jane cut in. “Should I bring you something to eat? “
“No, thanks”
“Look Brenda” She gently sat down beside her friend. “I don’t like the idea of you not eating anything. Look at you; do you want to starve yourself to death? You are getting so thin and unkempt.”
“I am not hungry Jane. Besides who cares about how I look? I might as well look like a scarecrow, does it matter?”
“Yes, it does. And you might at well get sick also. Have you thought of that? Don’t you think I care about you?”
EPISODE 9
“Jane, I think its best if you stop worrying about me. I promise you that I will take care of myself, just let me handle this my own way this time around. I will eat when I feel like, but for now, I don’t feel like eating and there is nothing I can do about it.”
“Then let’s just take a walk” Jane pleaded.
“No. Not now, maybe some other time. Right now, I don’t feel like anything.”
Some other time. This had been her language since the breakup with Adam. Jane helplessly left the room. She was seriously thinking about Brenda. The poor girl needs help but she cannot help especially with this attitude of handling it her own way.
Jane was feeling frustrated that she couldn’t help her friend and won’t be able to do anything even if Brenda seeks her help. Something must be done fast before the situation gets out of hand. Brenda might turn suicidal, this thought made her more uncomfortable.
She can’t do this alone; otherwise, his friend will continue to waste. She thought of alerting Brenda’s parents, but then thought against is it. It won’t be necessary to burden her poor parents, Brenda will sure not be happy with her.
Two days ago, she had gone to Dr. Chris and complained about Brenda’s situation. But the Dr. needed to see her Brenda who had refused to see anybody.
Michael. Yes, perhaps she should involve Michael. But wouldn’t she be taking matters to far? His friend might not like his involvement, besides; she wasn’t sure of what Michael can do. Dr. Chris had informed her that Michael was a Social Psychologist. He should, therefore, know something about matters like this.
Michael had called twice since he left them at the hospital. Jane wasn’t sure if the young man has feelings for Brenda or not. It won’t be a good idea to bring him in if he has any intention of asking her out.
Maybe he was just concerned for the poor girl he rescued from the street. He had seemed genuinely interested in helping Brenda. Jane was confused. Perhaps she should talk to him first and beg him to offer professional help to her poor friend. Even if he has the intention of dating Brenda, she must beg him to keep that aside for now and concentrate only on helping Brenda come to get over her depression.
Jane did not know much about depression, but she heard about people who had committed suicide or develop psychological problem, as a result, their inability to cope with their depression.
She loved Brenda. They have been so close right from the first time the interacted with each other in their first year at Star Gate University. And the last thing she wants is for anything bad to worse than this to happen to her friend. She will never forgive herself.
Michael dropped his cell phone and stared at it like he was seeing it for the first time. Why was she so defensive? Did she actually turn his request to pay her a simple visit down?
Dr. Chris had said that she was suffering from heartbreak. The heartbreak must have gotten deep down into her brain. He wished he could see her and talk with her so that he can infer how depressed she is. She really sounded depressed on the phone.
Normally, ladies would want to be kind enough to people who helped them or at least pretend to like them just to show they are grateful. But Brenda had politely asked him not to come around. Well, he mustn’t draw conclusions just like that.
Oh God, he really wanted to see her again, but he didn’t want to visit her without her approval. He didn’t want to be a nuisance and make a fool of himself. How can he get the chance to get to know her better?
He was really concerned about Brenda and will really like to know what actually happened. Why would somebody in his right senses hurt such a harmless looking girl? He wished he could get the chance to know her better and take care of her and probably start a relationship if things work out well.
Surprisingly Michael had found himself thinking about her since the day he set his eyes on her. A feeling he had not felt for a long time. This is what he had been waiting for and he will do anything within his power to get her attention. The news of the heartbreak could be a good one for him, given his secondary intention. But first, he must get the details of everything that happened to her but he was out of ideas on how he was going to get the information he wants.
A sudden knock on his door startled him, and then he remembered that he was expecting a friend. Joel had called him thirty minutes ago and told him that he was already on his way to his house.
“The door is opened.” He didn’t have the strength for security precautions.
Joel Jackson, a dark short but thick man walked into the sitting room. Joel had a smile that contracts his whole face, a smile that could seem genuine but cannot be validated.
Joel got married six months ago but was always calling on Michael on how to handle his wife. According to him, she seemed to be a different woman from the woman he proposed to. She was becoming more and more difficult every day and the way Joel complained, Michael wasn’t sure if the marriage will last two years.
Joel works in the bank. His work combined with his marriage gave him less time to hand out with his friends lately. Michael’s complain about not seeing him often had led to the evening visit.
“Busy boy. Long-time, it’s really nice seeing you.” Michael stood up from his seat to greet him. “How is the family?”
“Almighty Mike” Joel hailed him as they both shook hands and hugged. “My wife is fine, in fact, she wanted to come with me but I found a way to convince her not to. She made me promise to come home early. She is beginning to miss me.” He walked straight to the fridge. “I hope you have some cold drinks here.”
“Definitely.”
Joel opened the fridge and took a bottle of Small Stout. He was wearing a sky blue jeans and a tight long sleeve red shirt. He looked very smart.
“I hope the relationship is improving?” Michael asked as Joel sat by his side.
“Well, like you advised me the last time I complained. I have learned to let some things go and make sacrifices for the sake of happiness and peace. My attention to little things is beginning to make her feel guilty. We are both adjustings, something we should have done earlier. I guess learning never stops.”
“Yes, with time everything will come to normalcy and you will begin to appreciate yourselves like you have never done. I guess I won’t have to keep you so long, for you must go home and stay with the wife.”
“No, don’t worry about that. I have already cooked up a good reason to be out late. So how is Mr. Bachelor doing, I miss you, man.” Joel said with a wide smile. “Are you still waiting on God to send down an angel for you?”
“Mnnn…, I might have seen my angel. I met a lady recently but there is a little complication.” Michael replied thoughtfully
“What complication?”
“I am coming.” Michael quickly stood up and rushed to the fridge. He came back to his seat with a bottle of stout. He picked up his remote control and pressed play.
“Then let’s just take a walk” Jane pleaded.
“No. Not now, maybe some other time. Right now, I don’t feel like anything.”
Some other time. This had been her language since the breakup with Adam. Jane helplessly left the room. She was seriously thinking about Brenda. The poor girl needs help but she cannot help especially with this attitude of handling it her own way.
Jane was feeling frustrated that she couldn’t help her friend and won’t be able to do anything even if Brenda seeks her help. Something must be done fast before the situation gets out of hand. Brenda might turn suicidal, this thought made her more uncomfortable.
She can’t do this alone; otherwise, his friend will continue to waste. She thought of alerting Brenda’s parents, but then thought against is it. It won’t be necessary to burden her poor parents, Brenda will sure not be happy with her.
Two days ago, she had gone to Dr. Chris and complained about Brenda’s situation. But the Dr. needed to see her Brenda who had refused to see anybody.
Michael. Yes, perhaps she should involve Michael. But wouldn’t she be taking matters to far? His friend might not like his involvement, besides; she wasn’t sure of what Michael can do. Dr. Chris had informed her that Michael was a Social Psychologist. He should, therefore, know something about matters like this.
Michael had called twice since he left them at the hospital. Jane wasn’t sure if the young man has feelings for Brenda or not. It won’t be a good idea to bring him in if he has any intention of asking her out.
Maybe he was just concerned for the poor girl he rescued from the street. He had seemed genuinely interested in helping Brenda. Jane was confused. Perhaps she should talk to him first and beg him to offer professional help to her poor friend. Even if he has the intention of dating Brenda, she must beg him to keep that aside for now and concentrate only on helping Brenda come to get over her depression.
Jane did not know much about depression, but she heard about people who had committed suicide or develop psychological problem, as a result, their inability to cope with their depression.
She loved Brenda. They have been so close right from the first time the interacted with each other in their first year at Star Gate University. And the last thing she wants is for anything bad to worse than this to happen to her friend. She will never forgive herself.
Michael dropped his cell phone and stared at it like he was seeing it for the first time. Why was she so defensive? Did she actually turn his request to pay her a simple visit down?
Dr. Chris had said that she was suffering from heartbreak. The heartbreak must have gotten deep down into her brain. He wished he could see her and talk with her so that he can infer how depressed she is. She really sounded depressed on the phone.
Normally, ladies would want to be kind enough to people who helped them or at least pretend to like them just to show they are grateful. But Brenda had politely asked him not to come around. Well, he mustn’t draw conclusions just like that.
Oh God, he really wanted to see her again, but he didn’t want to visit her without her approval. He didn’t want to be a nuisance and make a fool of himself. How can he get the chance to get to know her better?
He was really concerned about Brenda and will really like to know what actually happened. Why would somebody in his right senses hurt such a harmless looking girl? He wished he could get the chance to know her better and take care of her and probably start a relationship if things work out well.
Surprisingly Michael had found himself thinking about her since the day he set his eyes on her. A feeling he had not felt for a long time. This is what he had been waiting for and he will do anything within his power to get her attention. The news of the heartbreak could be a good one for him, given his secondary intention. But first, he must get the details of everything that happened to her but he was out of ideas on how he was going to get the information he wants.
A sudden knock on his door startled him, and then he remembered that he was expecting a friend. Joel had called him thirty minutes ago and told him that he was already on his way to his house.
“The door is opened.” He didn’t have the strength for security precautions.
Joel Jackson, a dark short but thick man walked into the sitting room. Joel had a smile that contracts his whole face, a smile that could seem genuine but cannot be validated.
Joel got married six months ago but was always calling on Michael on how to handle his wife. According to him, she seemed to be a different woman from the woman he proposed to. She was becoming more and more difficult every day and the way Joel complained, Michael wasn’t sure if the marriage will last two years.
Joel works in the bank. His work combined with his marriage gave him less time to hand out with his friends lately. Michael’s complain about not seeing him often had led to the evening visit.
“Busy boy. Long-time, it’s really nice seeing you.” Michael stood up from his seat to greet him. “How is the family?”
“Almighty Mike” Joel hailed him as they both shook hands and hugged. “My wife is fine, in fact, she wanted to come with me but I found a way to convince her not to. She made me promise to come home early. She is beginning to miss me.” He walked straight to the fridge. “I hope you have some cold drinks here.”
“Definitely.”
Joel opened the fridge and took a bottle of Small Stout. He was wearing a sky blue jeans and a tight long sleeve red shirt. He looked very smart.
“I hope the relationship is improving?” Michael asked as Joel sat by his side.
“Well, like you advised me the last time I complained. I have learned to let some things go and make sacrifices for the sake of happiness and peace. My attention to little things is beginning to make her feel guilty. We are both adjustings, something we should have done earlier. I guess learning never stops.”
“Yes, with time everything will come to normalcy and you will begin to appreciate yourselves like you have never done. I guess I won’t have to keep you so long, for you must go home and stay with the wife.”
“No, don’t worry about that. I have already cooked up a good reason to be out late. So how is Mr. Bachelor doing, I miss you, man.” Joel said with a wide smile. “Are you still waiting on God to send down an angel for you?”
“Mnnn…, I might have seen my angel. I met a lady recently but there is a little complication.” Michael replied thoughtfully
“What complication?”
“I am coming.” Michael quickly stood up and rushed to the fridge. He came back to his seat with a bottle of stout. He picked up his remote control and pressed play.
To be continued
Tags:
Stories
